We were invited to work with the incredible community of Christ Church – Norris Green to develop concept ideas for an extension to the existing church centre to house a new worship hall and activity spaces. Their original church, built in 1932, was demolished in 2006, and ever since their extensive community involvement has been restricted to the old vicarage, as well as using other spaces throughout the area.
Our proposals were developed through a series of very well attended community workshops which allowed us to adapt the design to the specific needs of the users – ranging from spiritual, social and cultural, to practical, financial and security.
The result is a design that aims to re-use as much of the existing vicarage building as possible with two extensions enclosing a south-facing courtyard space to the rear, whilst providing an urban space to the front of the building. The spaces are designed to be open, inviting and generous whilst maintaining flexibility of use throughout.
Planning Approval was obtained in the autumn of 2016 and the community group is currently seeking funding to procure the project.